Drinking every day on vacation and pigging out on the local cuisine seems fun at the time until you have to snap back to reality. Follow these 7 tips to maintain a healthy lifestyle while you’re traveling so you can enjoy your trip and avoid the guilt when you return:
- Bring Healthy Snacks: Whether you’re hopping aboard a plane or heading out to visit tourist attractions, it’s always a good idea to bring some healthy snacks with you. If you know you have snack bags of veggies, you won’t be tempted by the plane’s undesirable entrees and all the unhealthy foods that are meant to target hungry tourists. One final tip: ditch the sugary bars that try to pass themselves off as health bars.
- Skip the Rest Stop Food: If you’re traveling by car, those rest steps can be awfully tempting for breaking up some of the monotony. Feel free to relieve yourself there if nature calls, but try to avoid the fast food that they offer. Do your best to plan your meals at local places along the way — you’ll usually get healthier options and will get access to some culture
- Limit Your Alcohol: Drinking during your vacation can seem like a great idea, but it’s easy to overdo it if you start having mimosas at breakfast and screwdrivers at lunch. Alcoholic drinks are calorie-dense hydration options that are likely to make you overeat later. Set limits for yourself; for example, try having just a glass or two of wine at dinner and don’t drink every night.
- Don’t Overindulge on Breakfast: Pancakes and waffles and bacon, oh my. Everyone knows that weighed down feeling after you’ve indulged on a huge breakfast. Not only is it a bad start to a day of healthy eating, but it’ll make you feel more lethargic and tired while you travel. Instead, try to opt for a healthier option like fruit, granola and greek yogurt, or a manageable veggie omelet.
- Keep a Water Bottle: You’d be surprised how dehydrated you get just by walking around all day. One of the best ways to stay hydrated and stave off hunger for longer periods of time is to keep a water bottle handy at all times. Start your days off with a glass of water with breakfast and you’ll be on your way to a healthy and hydrated trip.
- Jog to Learn the Area: It can be hard to motivate yourself to go the gym in your hotel when you’re in a new country with so many new places to explore. An easier way to stay on top of your fitness while traveling is to bring some running clothes with you and take the opportunity to jog around the local neighborhood. You’ll learn the area, spot some cool places you want to check out, and be getting a great workout all at the same time.
- Indulge a Little: It’s okay to indulge a little when you’re on vacation. A croissant in the morning or a gelato treat in Italy is totally fun as long as you’re not pigging out the rest of the trip. Keep your overeating to a minimum and you’ll earn yourself a few well-earned treats along the way!